The Promised Land


view of Jerusalem from the Mt. of Olives
    Recently, I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Israel. I was there for almost two weeks and saw amazing things -- from the Sea of Galilee to the Weeping Wall. this trip changed my life and I don't know how to even talk about it. It's so difficult to try and explain amazing experiences to people who weren't there.

    Basically, I went to the country I have always heard stories about. I went to the land and the area that God promised to His chosen people in the Old Testament.  I saw ruins of things that may have been around when my Savior walked the earth. I went in the Jordan river. I saw and learned so many things that have to do with the whole entire reason I am saved. The whole story that led to my salvation happened in areas I was able to walk around.
    I experienced a culture that felt more foreign than any I had experienced prior. I rode a camel. I talked to God and I saw people who were lost. I went to cities I have learned about in school. I went to a place some people dream of visiting for their whole life -- and I am only 19!
The Dead Sea // lowest place on earth
    I was able to picture stories better and fully realize the reality of my beliefs. I went to a place where you dig and find ancient cities instead of earthworm colonies. Every place I stepped felt important -- not only in a historical way but also important to our future. There were loud noises, buzzing streets, conflicts, peace, diversity, and tour busses everywhere. Things were written in languages that did not even look like readable letters.

    And most of all...
    Things were written in Hebrew but weren't scripture -- Man, that really throws you off. Especially when you're in Bible college and you're used to only seeing Hebrew in classes or tattooed dramatically on the forearms of the really hip kids that have deep thoughts and spend too much money on coffee.
...
And then you're in Israel and you think "wow I bet that's a Psalm of David" but it's just a menu.


Riding a camel in the Negev desert
    I don't want to lose what I learned in Israel. I don't want to forget Nadine, our tour guide. I don't want to forget the places I visited. I don't want to lose the rocks and shells I took home. I don't want to lose the tan lines on my feet (although that might be inevitable).

    Being in Israel is not something I can replicate anywhere else. It's an experience I may never have again. I don't know how to tell you the importance of all I saw, so just take my word for it. It's wicked awesome.

***

It was a good last trip to end my year with Pack Your Bags.


Comments

  1. I'm so glad you had a "wicked awesome" trip! Bless You!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to the Anonymous Individual

Missional Worship

“Reflecting.” A poem by me