Getting to Know the Heart of God


    I stood in line, waited, went through security, and found myself at the Temple Mount looking at the Dome of The Rock. We weren't allowed to wear crosses or bring Bibles and our clothes had to be very modest.
     Looking at the giant mosque did not feel how I expected it would. It wasn't scary. It was just... empty, I guess. There were kids outside playing soccer and women sitting in groups talking. There were older men in going places and people visiting the site from different countries. I was walking around observing when the sweetest group of young Muslim girls came up to me and said, “you take selfie?”
    “Sure,” I said.
      I started getting in picture after picture with these sweet girls with their joyful smiles and white head scarves. 
    It was so strange. I can hardly explain it. From the moment those girls spoke to me I felt like I loved them so much — It just came over me. It was something I had never experienced before. I was simply standing there and my heart was overflowing with love for these sweet girls. I could tell God was showing me that He loves them so much. He was giving me a small taste of the overwhelming love He feels for them every single day. I was trying to smile in all the pictures being taken of me, but my throat felt like I was going to cry. 
GOD LOVES THEM SO MUCH. 

    I wanted to talk to them, get to know them, and tell them about a Savior that offers hope and freedom — but it was only a split second I was even with them. Just a few moments later they were gone.
    God told me that He would give me that same love for the people He sends me to serve. No matter where that is, and no matter my season of life. God's going to take me places for me to serve people, and He's going to let me love them that much. It's a hard awareness to have, but it's a good awareness to have. It hurts to care that much for people. But, it’s a pain more compelling than anything I have ever experienced. I want to always have the heart of God.
     For the rest of the day, I couldn't even talk about my experience without starting to cry. My team was confused about what was wrong with me. I just couldn’t wrap my mind around the intensity of the love and concern I felt in my gut in that moment. It’s a moment I will never forget, and it’s a feeling I think everyone should feel. 

Comments

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! That's the Holy Spirit in you...He loves people so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to the Anonymous Individual

Missional Worship

“Reflecting.” A poem by me