Getting a Passport

"Stanton Lake" by Becca Brander
Sometimes it feels as if I have eight hundred trillion and twelve things on my to-do list, and only fourteen seconds to get them done.

But, then I realize I'm exaggerating and there's only like twenty-something things to do and I have two months or so. Which can still be overwhelming, but it's a lot less daunting than eight hundred trillion and twelve.

 The other day, I decided to finish getting my passport --
because it seems like a good idea to have a passport when I'm planning on traveling to Africa and such this next year.


 You see, I had already filled out my passport application and gone to the courthouse, but the lady and her desk informed me that my birth certificate was not chill and my driver's license was an insufficient photo ID. So I grabbed my better birth certificate, and (because I do not have any other photo ID) headed back to the courthouse a couple days later to figure this thing out.
 Confidently, I took the elevator to the third floor and sat back down with the lady and her desk.

Awhile ago, I did this cool trick where I accidentally left my wallet on top of the car after getting gas and proceeded to take off down the highway and not notice what I had done until a few hours later. The only things I was able to save from that incident, were a few scattered pieces on the side of the road (including a gift card and my very distinct straw wrapper I carried around everywhere. But nothing of importance). Because of this, I had no picture ID.

"But, I don't... have anything else I can use. What can I do?"


 She told me to run over to the Motor Vehicle Division, get myself an ID, and come back later with my temporary copy and she would be able to use that. So I did.
 I grabbed a number, sat down, and stared at my clipboard until there was someone to assist me. I went through the process, smiled in the direction she told me to, and walked off with a temporary ID and a hard copy coming in the mail.
 Back at the courthouse -- on the third floor, sitting with the lady and her desk -- I presented my newfangled ID. At last, I had everything I needed. Other than the money order, apparently. I mean, I had a money order... and it was the total amount I needed... it's just that it needed to be two separate payments (one fee for this and one fee for the blah blah) and "you need to go back to the bank and ask them to redo your money order." So I did.
 I stood to the left of the lollipops, behind the old man dealing with a situation having to do with someone forging his signature, and waited for my turn. It wasn't too difficult to sort out the money thing, and the lollipops were rewarding. Pretty soon, I was out the door, across town, up the elevator, and back sitting with the lady and her desk.
 Everything got stapled together and this trip to the courthouse was beginning to feel promising. I handed her my passport photos, and I was done.

"These pictures are kind of blurry. They might not accept them..."

But don't worry, she sent it anyway.
Let's just hope they don't send it back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to the Anonymous Individual

Missional Worship

“Reflecting.” A poem by me