Lomé, Togo

       Recently, I had the opportunity to spend eight days in Lomé, Togo, serving at the West Africa Advanced School of Theology (or WAAST). First of all, Togo is a beautiful country full of beautiful people. Even the dirt is my favorite color. All the plants thrive and there are shells on the ground when you’re not even on the beach. There’s lizards of all sizes and colors and more shades of green than you probably realize exist. Everyone wears vibrant patterns and big smiles. The people and vehicles flow down streets in a way that can either look like chaos or the most impressive feat you’ve ever witnessed (depending on your mood). But the most beautiful thing is how quickly the kingdom of God is advancing in that country. Every single church tries to plant at least one more church a year. The alter calls are consistently bringing life-change. The Christian community is marked by unity, kindness, encouragement, and passion. We met missionaries who had been in ministry for decades. These people, in particular, inspired me greatly. Being able to see someone at the other end of the road I’m trying to take really touched me and urged me to keep pushing forward.

       I feel I got to know the leadership of my own church better.
       I met a monkey named Squeaky.
       I was able to see more of the world.

       One of the best parts of this trip was the incredible culture of honor. So many short-term mission trips tend to emphasize the wrong thing. Each person you meet is introduced to you with the attitude of “look how much they need our help.”  People take selfies with poor children, build their egos, and make the world think they did something great. You’re not going to reach a single soul if you think you’re the answer to all of their problems. The reality is: these are people who need God just as badly as you do. You’re not bigger than them, and they will not appreciate you thinking so anyway. But this trip was completely the opposite. Each time we were introduced to someone new, the emphasis was placed on their achievements. “She is incredible at her job,” “he has two MA degrees,” “he drives across the city multiple times a week just so he can serve a church,” “she runs her own elementary school.” These things were said so regularly, and I’ve never seen it done so well. I loved this aspect of our trip. Because of it, we inherited a piece of God’s love and appreciation for the people of Togo. The missionaries in Togo are remarkably humble — they’ve simply come to love and to serve. I cannot wait to see what else God is going to do through the ministries in that country.

       “Part of me really wishes I didn’t have to go back home. When will I get to do this
~Photograph by Rose Grubb~ 
again? Where will I go next?” I wrote as we flew out of Lomé. A moment passed as I pondered that last question.
      “Wherever God takes me — and today, that’s America.” 





PREVIOUSLY:
  WHY SHORT-TERM MISSION TRIPS ARE BAD AND WHY I AM GOING ON ONE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to the Anonymous Individual

Missional Worship

“Reflecting.” A poem by me