Experiencing South Africa

She held the phone up to her ear a little tighter.
“What do I call this feeling?” she asked him after a moment of silence. The room she occupied was quiet and dark, and it was already far into the night -- the night before her next big adventure.
“I think we can call it ‘Traveler’s Anxiety…’” he paused. “It’s like ‘wow, I have to leave everything…’ mixed with ‘wow, I get to see everything...’”
And he was right.
***

    This adventure has really been so incredible so far.
    All twenty-something of us piled onto flight after connecting flight until our lovely 10-hour layover in London.
It was really cool to explore the city and see the sights and adventure for a day before getting on another plane.
***

     As soon as we landed in South Africa I knew I was not in America anymore -- which is probably an expected reaction. The air is different, the trees are different, the plants are different, and the people are different. The faucets and the spoons are different. And there isn’t any snow whatsoever.
    We spent our first week in Pretoria and explored various historical monuments and museums while we were there. We went to schools and churches and served as much as we could. We went shopping and sightseeing. And we ate a lot of butter.
    Waking up to the birds singing here is beautiful. It’s like God came out with a new album and He’s playing all of these songs for me that I have never even heard before. There’s something about the atmosphere and the ministry and everything we do here that feels more like reality to me than a lot of other things I do. I love working in churches and waking up early and not really being sure of any details of my day until they happen. I like the trees here and the people we are able to meet and pray with.

    God has already begun a work in my own heart and reminded me of the many things in my life that he has promised me and that I can trust. He is helping me learn to maintain focus and discipline. I miss home, but my time here is short and I want to get everything out of it that God is offering. I know this is a time in my life that I will never forget.

sorbet adventure

Comments

  1. Great honey! Soak it in! We're trusting Him to care for you there and show you great and wonderful things :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to the Anonymous Individual

Missional Worship

“Reflecting.” A poem by me